News:

Only a small part of the forum is visible to guests. Please register to gain full access.

Main Menu

antiquiti aca mikes-artefacts

Started by admin, November 23, 2015, 12:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotfake

Thank kelly. Will join the other group as well.
Here are the three zebu bulls.
As well as other harrapan figurines that I got will post the pottery later. Thanks.
S

Spotfake

Here are the remaining few harrapan pottery as well.
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks S

Spotfake

Here are the 6 more zebu's listed by mike in his site currently.. with mine and the others listed before there are more than 30... I have not seen these outside of his site now ater an extensive search. Even on the official harrapan website. Hence I feel they may be fakes. One aspect is no two are alike which was interesting.
Again experts please help.

gaius asinius

Imagine if you will a merchant who is a well known, documented shyster from Hades. Then imagine him suddenly auctioning off his amazing collection of genuine, pristine artifacts, in a royal fire sale - for pennies on the dollar!! Is this clear to you?  Don't know if/how you wish to pursue the matter, nor or how to  best legally document his malfeasance in selling modern reproductions as genuine artifacts. All I can do is tell you in my estimation most everything this unconscionable crook sells is what's known in the vernacular as phony s**t

Jerry F

These simple pottery vessels are, whether genuine or fake, definitely not Harappan! They are  from the Nal Culture of Balochistan in Pakistan.(These various cultures in Pakistan are often referred to as Indus Vally Civilisation but they are quite distinct from Harappan )

These terracotta  pots are rather inferior specimens. One wonders why they would make such rather ordinary fakes of these as so many such (looted!) pottery is on the market already. The same goes for the figurines, both the Zebu  bulls and the others: they are either reasonably well made fakes or genuine. Most on the market. are definitely fakes however.

Given that Mr Davies sells 99% fakes  I think one can assume the same here ! As you have acquired several other  things from him which are very definitely fakes I think you are entitled to assume all are!

But do get more opinions on the other group.

Jerry

gaius asinius

He's also having a field day marketing genuine pristine "SYRO-HITTITE" artifacts that look like they just rolled out of some ancient Syro-Hittite workshop. Swindlers from Thailand & Cyprus also in on this latest lucrative scam du jour

Spotfake

And some innocent buyer has been paying on average 200gbp for each. I know that person has bought almost most of them.
Not to mention his cuniforms and number of detector finds that look the same.

Why dont we have a clear list of the worst ebay sellers.
And also one that is for genuine  ebay sellers on this forum.
I could not find either one with easy.
Also we need to incorporate this site somehow into ebay forums.

Archaic

It is the view of the  collectors who established this forum that we only feature the fakers: we don't wan't to get into recommending individual dealers.

The worst ones are at the top of the list called "top ten" though  there are more than ten!

Many sellers shown here need removing or archiving because many of them no longer exist.

You are welcome to create a link to this forum from the eBay forums!
eBay makes life easier for these crooks by helping them remove bad feedback!

Cheers,

Admin.

gaius asinius

Spotfake if it's any consolation I once got taken for a four-figure ride by some shyster in Portugal selling bogus Neolithic Iberian artifacts. Chalk it up to baptism by fire. These thieves thrive because of the black hole sized loophole in legality that is ebay. Mr. Davies and like minded minions are why God created wine & weed. 

Spotfake

First I want to thank you all. GA especially for his sentiments, Jerry thanks for the information on the nal or also called Amri nal ware.
So far based on the responses,
I feel I have two arguments:
1) the listing is not accurately described not harrapan etc.
2) I feel there cant be so many zebu's for sale or even excavated intact from these locations. But I have two here who feel they may be genuine.

Any other that you all feel would be helpful. Yes I will use this forum and the fact he was list as a top ten fake seller.
One last request if any one can help. These are the last set of pottery I got and I am not sure now either. Any help appreciated. Thanks
S

PS kelly I joined that other forum .. now I get emails from there of conversation between members which I am not sure how to stop.

dig4gold

Hi,
To change your preferences on the other forum:
Click on ID top right hand corner
Open Account
On left menu select Preferences
At bottom uncheck email for "my messages"
:o)

gaius asinius

Spotty (if I may) think you're setting the bar too high by adding six more potential fakes to an already overflowing docket. Focus on the FEW that are most demonstrably phony & do your necessary documentation/due diligence. If you're in the UK (as is P.T. Barnum Nouveau) you have a better chance with a civil case, à la the Sadigh affair in NYC. If outside UK jurisdiction your options are limited as to my knowledge no international agency is empowered to sanction crooks like this. If there were this wouldn't still be such an issue after all the times he's gotten snagged.

nostradamus

These terracotta vessels are not typically Mycenaean. While Mycenaean pottery is notable for its decoration early Common Wares are plain and undecorated. They are however very rarely on the antiquities market and are not easy to distinguish from very similar Common Wares found across the Mediterranean area. They are made from a red coarse and porous clay and often contain grit. Later on in the Helladic period  even common wares became decorated. Plain wares with simple darker color banding have a typically glossy glaze.

I don't think these pots are Mycenaean at all. They are really very difficult to identify. They might be late Hellenistic Greek common wares or even Roman.

If the seller is certain with his attribution he should be able to explain why and give you references in books or links online to parallel pieces.

But of course we all know that Michael Davies knows zilch about ancient artefacts and anything he says in to be taken with a pinch of salt, as they say.

Look, he has without any doubt crooked you on the large more elaborate pieces and has misattributed the supposed "Harrappan" pots. You are surely entitled to send everything back and demand a full refund.

He does after all write: "In the rare case that you are not satisfied with a purchase, returns of an item are welcome within 30 days of receiving the item. You must ship the item insured and registered. Within 48hours of receiving the item back we will process the refund for you. If you do intend to return a item please contact us via EMAIL to arrange it".

Contact eBay right away if he does not agree to this. Good luck !

PS: Some useful information about Mycenaean pottery.

https://library.oapen.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.12657/35074/1/340275.pdf

https://www.ceramicstudies.me.uk/histx105.html

https://dor.huji.ac.il/Download/Article/QedemReports2_Ch6.pdf

Spotfake

Thank you everyone for your information.

Archaic

Do let us klnow what you do and the result.
Hope he takes these things back and refunds you.

Admin.