News:

Only a small part of the forum is visible to guests. Please register to gain full access.

Main Menu

He is still there.. but also with some legit stuff? Take a look at this dagger

Started by Nvntivs, October 26, 2023, 06:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nvntivs

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this forum (and the general topic) unfortunately after I purchased something from MD (named anqitues and artifacts uk nowadays) yet. And so I was really nervous about this presumably antique item I was to receive. Especially since upon checking his other offers I found like a hundred or so of items which are either 110% fake or at least with a probability I would definitely have kept my hands off if I knew all this background of the seller before.

Now...today this "BEAUTIFUL ANCIENT MYCENAEAN BRONZE AGE GREEK LONGSHOT ARROWHEAD WAR RELIC"...(even writing this hurts) arrived and I am rather surprised... It does actually look legit.

Here some pics

Now I think it is quite obvious, this is a dagger from somewhere of the vast regions of Iran/Iraq etc. area.
Stuff which is commonly called Luristan

Type A.2.d from this table here...

I already inspected this dagger rather carefully, to the best of my knowledge. However, since I am not an expert in ancient weapons but do have my share of experience with ancient coins, I would like to ask you for your opinion.

Anyway - I didn't find any of the usual red flags. The dagger has been cleaned in my opinion somewhat rough, and I also wonder if the damage to the edge is all anciend or maybe also because of this cleaning. Especially suspicious I am about this small piece of metal whith the small hole under. I think it would have gone loose many years ago if it were just due to the age...

gaius asinius

Assume anything displayed by this dealer is phony until proven otherwise. Understand swindlers mix in real stuff to obfuscate, but not something like this. Always consider the source.

Nvntivs

Quote from: gaius asinius on October 26, 2023, 07:08:03 PMAssume anything displayed by this dealer is phony until proven otherwise.

Quote from: gaius asinius on October 26, 2023, 07:08:03 PMAssume anything displayed by this dealer is phony until proven otherwise.

Now I would usually do so, however I would really like an opinion based not on his history only.
I mean, this is nothing too expensive and also not too expensive. Furthermore, due to some events in the rather recent times articacts from this particular area are quite common on the market.
I saw very similar stuff for instance here, and I couldn't tell the difference in origin even putting two pieces side by side..

https://www.trocadero.com/stores/Senatus/catalog/query.php?fromtrocadero=1&dealers=Senatus&cache=1&keywords=Axe+or+sword+or+dagger+or+spear++

Unless you guys are going to tell me, that he also is famous for selling fakes! :D

gaius asinius

The thing ain't real, man. Bottom line. Crunch the numbers any which way you want

Nvntivs

Quote from: gaius asinius on October 26, 2023, 10:55:24 PMThe thing ain't real, man. Bottom line. Crunch the numbers any which way you want

Just like that... No further explanation of why? Any indicators for this verdict based on the dagger itself?
I mean, just imagine I would have told you, that I actually did find this dagger somewhere in northern Iran myself? Would your verdict be the same based on the pictures I provided here?

oldthings

Hello,

This is not something I know anything much about but it does look plausible.
99% of the things Mr Davies sells are fakes but this could be in the 1% !

To get other opinions join this discusssion forum and ask.

https://groups.io/g/AncientArtifacts/

You can easily upload images there too. And many collectors and drealers there.

Regards,

Nvntivs

Quote from: oldthings on October 27, 2023, 10:05:39 AMHello,

This is not something I know anything much about but it does look plausible.
99% of the things Mr Davies sells are fakes but this could be in the 1% !

To get other opinions join this discusssion forum and ask.

https://groups.io/g/AncientArtifacts/

You can easily upload images there too. And many collectors and drealers there.

Regards,

Thanks so much! Just joined and will place my questions there too!
How is the proper procedure there? Just create a new topic or are there some continuous topics I have to add my questions to?

gaius asinius

It may be the %. But I would hesitate providing him funds to cut that percentage back down to 0.5%

Nvntis please understand at no time was authenticity under consideration. It's just that I can't recall a single phony antiquities merchant who didn't mix in real stuff with his/her 3D printer, gumball machine & illegally exported grave-goods stuff. Categorically refuse to purchase anything from them.

oldthings

Hello,
I agree 100% with the above posting!
You asked about posting on the other forum: yes, just start a new topic there.
Regards,

Nvntivs

Quote from: oldthings on October 27, 2023, 09:48:34 PMHello,
I agree 100% with the above posting!
You asked about posting on the other forum: yes, just start a new topic there.
Regards,

Well, a couple of days ago I started a new topic there, but it is still not posted, saying, that it is supposed to be released by a moderator first.. is it normal that it takes so long?

Archaic

Unfortunately yes, sometimes a couple of  if images are uploaded.
Maybe, if you can, post a simple message asking what's happening?
Brad.