News:

Only a small part of the forum is visible to guests. Please register to gain full access.

Main Menu

Fake or not 4

Started by Pich86, July 28, 2022, 10:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pich86

Hi to everybody! I need your help understanding if that item is a fake or not.
Thank you!

gaius asinius

Pich86 pardon my ignorance but real or fake WHAT? Looks REAL SILLY is about all I can say

Gaius

Pich86

I'm sorry for my poor english but i'm not understand your answer.
Do you think that could be a real carthaginian head glass pendant?
Thank you.

gaius asinius

Thank you for jogging my memory. Referenced a number in various media and although it appears stylistically similar have no idea on authenticity. Any provenance available? Helps to know precisely where, when and by whom it was found.

Gaius

oldthings

Very many of the genuine Phoenician head beads look rather strange but this one is even stranger!
The majority on the market are not ancient and I very much doubt that this one is genuine.
Where did you buy it? That might tell you something important.

Pich86

I bought by a private collection of a old fried.
I have no  doubts about the good faith of this man, but i know that is not enough.
I' ve posted another photo for other detail.

oldthings

I think you are going to  have to show it to a proper expert in person to be sure; but I must say that I have never seen the eyes made like this.

Pich86

Thank you for your answer. The problem is that is diffucult to find an expert in that, do you
Know someone?
About the eyes that is an interesting point of discussion!
I'm focusing on the external layer and the patina of this item and it seems genuine..

Kelly123

Hi,

There have been very few scientific analyses of such head pendants. There is a lot of information about the composition of the glass used to form core formed Phoenician vessels, bur whether such information is validly relevant to the composition of the glass used to make the head pendants is unsure.

Authentication therefore would be on stylistic grounds rather than scientific analyseis. The eminent authorities are to be found at the Corning Museum of Glass. If you could visit them? Or maybe contact by email?
https://home.cmog.org/

Kelly

By the way you are still posting in the wrong place.
Your questions should be placed in this section>>>
https://ancientartifakes.net/smf/index.php/board,182.0.html

Pich86

Hi Kelly and thank you very much for your kind answer.
I'll try to send an email at the museum and i'll try to repost on the forum
That you suggested me!!!